Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Scripture of the Day - December 21, 2011

John 3:16  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Have you ever loved someone enough that you would give your life for them? I know as a mother I would give my life for any of my children. Many years ago my son Matthew was getting migraines and it pained me to see him like that so I prayed a naive prayer. I really didn't want him to have those migraines and told the Lord I would take them in his place if someone had to have them. The interesting thing is that eventually Matthew stopped getting migraines and I started getting them. Every time I had a migraine I would thank God that Matthew didn't have to suffer through this any more. I was actually glad to have them if it meant he wouldn't suffer. Not to pat myself on the back... but that's love. I truly don't pat myself on the back because it's easy to sacrifice for someone you love.
Now here is PURE LOVE...God loved humanity so much that even while we were enemies of Him He came to earth in human flesh to pay the penalty for our sins. He paid the penalty so we wouldn't have to. We didn't deserve it, but He did it out of pure love. 
There are many people in the world today who are still enemies of God. Some refuse to admit He exists because they don't want to accept the fact that they will be answerable to a higher power when they leave this world. Some once knew Him but turned their backs on Him thinking... well who knows what they were thinking. 
God loves everyone equally and was glad to pay the penalty for us. All we have to do is believe...we don't have to do any great works of penance...we just have to believe that Jesus is God Almighty manifested in the flesh...we just have to believe and follow Him...we just have to believe and bask in His love.



~Mary Hynes~

No comments:

Post a Comment